Extra Help for Prescription Drugs
The Extra Help program helps cover prescription drug costs and waives late enrollment penalties for Part D.
You’re eligible for Extra Help if:
- You qualify for the QMB, SLMB, or QI Medicare Savings Programs noted above.
- You have a Medicare plan that includes Part D prescription drug coverage.
While Medicare Savings Programs come from your state, Extra Help is a federal government program. Visit the Social Security website or the office near you to apply.
Many people are not aware they meet the requirements for these programs. Plus, it's possible to qualify for the Extra Help prescription drug program even if you're not eligible for any of the Medicare Savings Programs. That’s why checking with Social Security to see if you qualify is worth your time.
Apply for a Medicare Savings Program
If you answer “yes” to all three of these Medicare.gov questions, you may qualify for a Medicare Savings Program.
- Do you have Original Medicare Part A (or are you eligible for it)?
- Is your yearly income at or below the program limits?
- Do you have financial resources at or below the program limits?
The limits for Medicare Savings Programs typically increase every year. Even if your income and resources are a bit higher than the limit, you should still fill out an application to see if you qualify.
Learn more about Medicare. Or see if an Amerigroup Medicare Special Needs Plan is right for you.